Saturday, 29 November 2025
25 C
Singapore
13.9 C
Thailand
22.1 C
Indonesia
27.3 C
Philippines

Nintendo sues Genki over Switch 2 accessory mockups and trademark use

Nintendo sued Genki for showing Switch 2 mockups before launch, claiming trademark misuse and misleading promotion.

Nintendo is taking legal action against Genki, a gaming accessory brand, for revealing mockups of the upcoming Switch 2 before its official announcement. The Japanese gaming company filed a lawsuit, accusing Genki of trademark infringement, unfair competition, and misleading advertising. According to the lawsuit, Genki promoted accessories it claimed would work with the Nintendo Switch 2, even though the console had not been released publicly.

Mockups Spark Controversy at CES 2025

You may have seen the buzz online earlier this year when Genki showed off Switch 2 mockups at the CES 2025 event in Las Vegas. Videos and images shared by Genki suggested they had access to the next-gen Nintendo console, sparking confusion and excitement among fans. In response, Nintendo quickly released a statement to clarify that the hardware and images shared by Genki were not official.

Genki later claimed their designs were based purely on leaked details and not on any physical console. They insisted they did not possess or own a black-market version of the Switch 2. However, Nintendo argues that Genki’s public statements were inconsistent and misleading. Despite changing their explanation, Genki continued to suggest that its products would be compatible with the unreleased console.

Nintendo claims damage to its reputation and sales

Nintendo officially revealed the Switch 2 on January 16, shortly after the CES mockup incident. But the company says Genki hasn’t stopped riding the wave of publicity. In its complaint, Nintendo states that Genki is still using media attention to gain an advantage, potentially harming Nintendo’s accessory sales in the process.

One example cited in the lawsuit is Genki’s decision to hold its own “Genki Direct” livestream event shortly after Nintendo’s “Nintendo Direct” showcase. Nintendo believes this was a deliberate move to benefit from the traffic and interest generated by its announcement.

The video game giant says Genki’s actions risk misleading customers and could damage Nintendo’s reputation. The lawsuit aims to stop Genki from promoting accessories for the Switch 2 and using any branding or logos linked to Nintendo without permission.

Genki responds and prepares for PAX East

In a public statement shared on X (formerly Twitter), Genki said it is taking the lawsuit seriously and is working with lawyers to respond carefully. The company has always been independent and focused on building creative gaming accessories for the wider gaming community.

“We’re proud of the work we’ve done, and we stand by the quality and originality of our products,” Genki said. While they didn’t go into detail due to legal advice, Genki confirmed it would continue fulfilling orders and showcase its latest accessories at this week’s PAX East event.

This legal dispute comes after years of speculation about Nintendo’s next-generation console. The original Switch was a huge success, and Nintendo says it began planning for the Switch 2 shortly after the first console launched. Pre-orders for the Nintendo Switch 2 opened in April and will officially go on sale starting June 5.

Hot this week

Honor launches Magic8 Pro in Singapore with new MagicBook Art 14 and Watch Fit

Honor launches the Magic8 Pro in Singapore with upgraded imaging, AI features and companion devices including the MagicBook Art 14 and Watch Fit.

Epic CEO questions the relevance of AI labels in game stores

Epic CEO Tim Sweeney questions the need for AI labels in game stores amid industry debates over transparency and the future role of AI.

Xbox consoles may face another price rise as a leaker warns of a global RAM shortage

Xbox Series X and Series S prices may rise again, as a leaker claims, as Microsoft could face a global RAM shortage.

Belkin Zootopia accessories you need before Zootopia 2 arrives

Belkin’s latest Zootopia collection brings fun designs and practical features to power banks, cables, cases and straps for everyday use.

Singapore orders Apple and Google to stop spoofed government identities on messaging apps

Singapore orders Apple and Google to block spoofed government identities on messaging apps to curb rising impersonation scams.

Apple is expected to overtake Samsung as the world’s leading smartphone maker

Apple is projected to overtake Samsung as the world’s top smartphone maker, driven by strong iPhone 17 demand and upcoming device launches.

Singapore orders Apple and Google to stop spoofed government identities on messaging apps

Singapore orders Apple and Google to block spoofed government identities on messaging apps to curb rising impersonation scams.

Nintendo acquires Bandai Namco Studios Singapore

Nintendo acquires Bandai Namco Studios Singapore to boost game development and expand its subsidiary network.

Google DeepMind opens new AI research lab in Singapore to strengthen regional language capabilities

Google DeepMind opens a new AI lab in Singapore to boost regional language understanding, research partnerships, and real-world innovation.

Related Articles

Popular Categories