Thursday, 28 August 2025
28.3 C
Singapore
27 C
Thailand
19.7 C
Indonesia
26 C
Philippines

Epic sues Google and Samsung over App Store restrictions

Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over app store restrictions, claiming Samsung's Auto Blocker feature blocks third-party stores with unfair hurdles.

Epic Games is back in court, this time taking on Google and Samsung in a fresh legal battle. The gaming company is accusing both tech giants of conspiring to prevent third-party app stores from being easily accessible on Samsung smartphones.

At the centre of the dispute is a Samsung feature called “Auto Blocker,” which is turned on by default on its phones. This feature stops users from installing apps unless they come from what Samsung deems “authorised sources”—either Google Play or Samsung’s own Galaxy Store.

The challenge of third-party app stores

Epic claims that there’s no clear way for other app stores to become one of these authorised sources. Although users can turn off the Auto Blocker feature, Epic says doing so involves a difficult 21-step process. Epic argues that this complexity is a deliberate move to discourage users from exploring alternative app stores, thus limiting competition.

A report confirms the difficulty of disabling Auto Blocker, supporting Epic’s claims. Users find no helpful results when searching for “turn off Auto Blocker” on a Samsung phone. Disabling the feature requires navigating through multiple screens, one of which cautions that “Auto Blocker keeps your phone safe by blocking threats and other suspicious activity.”

Epic claims Auto Blocker is a “sham”

Epic is also questioning the legitimacy of Auto Blocker’s security features. According to the company’s lawsuit, Auto Blocker does not assess whether a particular app or source is safe before blocking it. Epic claims this makes the feature more about controlling where apps come from rather than genuinely protecting users.

So far, Samsung has neither confirmed nor denied whether Auto Blocker performs any real threat assessments. The company hasn’t confirmed whether it collaborated with Google to develop the feature. However, Samsung did release a statement defending its practices, saying:

“Contrary to Epic Games’ assertions, Samsung actively fosters market competition, enhances consumer choice, and conducts its operations fairly. The features integrated into our devices are designed by Samsung’s core principles of security, privacy, and user control, and we remain fully committed to safeguarding users’ personal data. Users have the choice to disable Auto Blocker at any time.”

Samsung added that it plans to fight Epic’s claims in court vigorously.

Google’s response and Epic’s ongoing battle

Google, like Samsung, has not confirmed any involvement in the Auto Blocker feature but has dismissed the lawsuit without merit. Dan Jackson, a spokesperson for Google, said, “This is a meritless lawsuit. Android device makers are free to take their steps to keep their users safe and secure.”

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney is framing the lawsuit as a fight for all app developers, not just his company. Sweeney has been vocal in his criticism of major app stores, claiming that they operate like monopolies. He argues that Epic’s legal battles aim to create a fairer playing field for all developers.

This isn’t Epic’s first fight against the app store giants. The company previously sued Apple and Google over their app store practices, alleging that they were monopolies designed to restrict competition. According to Sweeney, he would have settled with Apple and Google privately if he aimed to get Epic special treatment. However, he insists that this meant “selling out all developers.”

As the legal battle unfolds, the spotlight remains on whether Samsung and Google are working together to stifle competition in the app market or if their actions are, as they claim, simply about keeping users safe.

Hot this week

Google launches Pixel Watch 4 with new design, health tools and AI features

Google unveils Pixel Watch 4 with a new domed display, AI health coach, advanced fitness tools, and satellite emergency connectivity.

GameSir launches X5s wireless controller with tri-mode connectivity

GameSir launches the X5s controller with tri-mode connectivity, Hall Effect sticks, HD rumble, and cross-platform support.

ASUS unveils TUF Gaming BE9400 WiFi 7 router in Singapore

ASUS launches the TUF Gaming BE9400 WiFi 7 router in Singapore with tri-band speeds, gaming optimisation, and advanced security.

Apple set to bring back Touch ID with upcoming foldable iPhone

Apple is expected to launch its first foldable iPhone in 2026, featuring Touch ID, four cameras and a slim in-cell display design.

Belkin introduces first Qi2.2 chargers with 25W wireless charging speeds

Belkin launches its first Qi2.2-certified chargers, offering 25W wireless charging speeds with three models designed for both home and travel use.

Apple is reportedly testing reverse wireless charging for the iPhone 17 Pro

Apple is reportedly testing reverse wireless charging for the iPhone 17 Pro, sparking renewed speculation about its long-awaited debut.

Apple’s first foldable iPhone tipped to launch with major design changes

Apple’s first foldable iPhone is expected to debut with an 8-inch foldable screen, eSIM-only support, and a high-quality hinge for its 20th anniversary.

ASEAN battery conference highlights regional leadership and collaboration

The 3rd ASEAN Battery Technology Conference in Phuket showcased new partnerships, safety standards, and innovation for clean energy.

TechLaw.Fest marks 10th edition with focus on digital innovation in law

TechLaw.Fest 2025 marks its 10th edition in Singapore with keynotes, global legal tech discussions, and the launch of the e-Apostille.

Related Articles

Popular Categories