Saturday, 29 November 2025
33.2 C
Singapore
29.5 C
Thailand
23.9 C
Indonesia
28.5 C
Philippines

Trump grants automakers a one-month delay on tariffs to move production to the U.S.

Trump grants automakers a one-month delay on tariffs, urging them to move production from Canada and Mexico to the U.S. before April 2.

President Donald Trump has granted automakers a one-month delay on new tariffs for vehicles imported from Canada and Mexico. The decision follows requests from General Motors, Ford, and Stellantis executives, who now have until April 2 to move any offshore production to the United States.

Politico first reported the temporary reprieve just days after Trump imposed a 25% tariff on all imports from the U.S.’s neighbouring countries. These tariffs impact goods previously duty-free under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), often referred to as NAFTA 2.0. According to The Wall Street Journal, the exemption applies only to automakers that comply with the USMCA.

Impact on the industry and car prices

Many automakers rely on complex supply chains that extend across North America. General Motors, for example, manufactures its Chevy Equinox in Mexico and Canada. Ford builds its Lincoln Nautilus SUV in Ontario, while Stellantis also produces its Dodge Charger there. Additionally, several automotive suppliers operate factories in both countries, further complicating any rapid shift in production.

The tariffs have sparked concerns over rising car prices, which are already at record highs. According to Jeff Schott, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, the new trade barriers could drive prices up by as much as $12,000 per vehicle. This increase could make new cars unaffordable for many buyers, potentially leaving dealerships with unsold inventory.

Ford CEO Jim Farley recently stated that the company has no spare production capacity in the U.S. to shift manufacturing immediately. He warned that while Ford might withstand the tariffs in the short term, prolonged trade restrictions could severely impact the American automotive industry.

Trump pushes automakers to move production

In a speech to Congress on Tuesday, Trump urged car manufacturers to relocate their operations to the U.S. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt reinforced this message during a briefing on Wednesday, stating that Trump expects GM, Ford, and Stellantis to take action before the tariffs come into effect at the end of the month.

“He told them they should get on it,” Leavitt said.

Industry data shows that through February, nearly half of all new vehicles sold in the U.S. were manufactured domestically. However, 17.4% were built in Mexico, and 7.4% came from Canada, according to Edmunds.com.

In response to the tariff decision, Ford released a statement highlighting its commitment to American manufacturing. “Since President Trump’s successful USMCA was signed, Ford has invested billions in the United States and committed billions more to invest in American workers and ensure all of our vehicles comply with USMCA. We will continue to have a healthy and candid dialogue with the Administration to help achieve a bright future for our industry and U.S. manufacturing.”

As the deadline approaches, automakers will need to weigh the costs of relocating production against the impact of steep tariffs. The coming weeks will determine how the industry adapts to this new trade policy.

Hot this week

Sony announces December PS Plus Monthly Games lineup featuring five titles

Sony unveils a five-game PS Plus lineup for December, including Lego Horizon Adventures, Neon White, and several horror titles.

Valve offers strongest hint yet on expected Steam Machine pricing

Valve hints that the Steam Machine may be priced close to a similarly powerful DIY PC, but external factors keep final costs uncertain.

LG launches world’s first 45-inch 5K2K OLED gaming monitor in Singapore

LG brings the world’s first 45-inch 5K2K OLED gaming monitor to Singapore with high refresh rates, Dual-Mode switching and advanced display technology.

Assassin’s Creed receives an unusual Thanksgiving crossover with the Attack on Titan event

Assassin’s Creed Shadows launches a surprising Attack on Titan crossover event with new story content, rewards, and themed items.

Apple is expected to overtake Samsung as the world’s leading smartphone maker

Apple is projected to overtake Samsung as the world’s top smartphone maker, driven by strong iPhone 17 demand and upcoming device launches.

Cronos: The New Dawn drives major profit surge for Bloober Team

Bloober Team reports record Q3 2025 results as Cronos: The New Dawn drives a major surge in global sales and profit.

China warns of growing risk of bubble in humanoid robot industry

China warns of a potential bubble in the humanoid robot industry, raising concerns about market saturation, investment risks, and global impact.

SMRT upgrades Bishan Depot with automation to double train overhaul capacity

SMRT upgrades Bishan Depot with automation to double overhaul capacity and enhance safety, efficiency, and workforce sustainability.

Apple is expected to overtake Samsung as the world’s leading smartphone maker

Apple is projected to overtake Samsung as the world’s top smartphone maker, driven by strong iPhone 17 demand and upcoming device launches.

Related Articles

Popular Categories