Saturday, 29 November 2025
30.9 C
Singapore
29.9 C
Thailand
27.5 C
Indonesia
28.6 C
Philippines

Roblox tightens rules on user-created games amid child safety lawsuits

Roblox introduces stricter content rules and safety tools after lawsuits claim the platform fails to protect young players.

Roblox has introduced major changes to its policies following a series of lawsuits that claim the platform fails to provide a safe environment for young players. The company announced the updates in a blog post, outlining stricter controls on user-generated content and new safety measures designed to protect underage users.

Restrictions on unrated and private experiences

One of the most significant changes is the restriction of unrated experiences, which are Roblox’s term for user-created games. Previously, players aged 13 and over were allowed to access these games. Under the new rules, only the developer and their collaborators will be able to enter unrated experiences. The change will be rolled out in the coming months and marks a major shift in how Roblox manages access to content on its platform.

The company is also tightening rules on so-called “social hangout” experiences. Any hangouts that depict private spaces, such as bedrooms or bathrooms, will now only be available to users aged 17 and older who have completed identity verification. Roblox will also apply the same restrictions to games set primarily in adult-only environments, such as bars or clubs.

New detection tools for rule-breaking content

To enforce these stricter rules, Roblox plans to introduce a new automated tool designed to detect inappropriate or rule-breaking activity. The system will identify what the company refers to as “violative scenes,” or situations that violate its safety guidelines. Servers that accumulate enough violations will be automatically taken offline. Developers will then need to work with Roblox’s moderation team to make adjustments before being allowed back on the platform.

These new safety measures represent Roblox’s most significant attempt yet to address concerns about the risks faced by younger users. The company has faced growing pressure to improve its moderation systems, particularly as many of its players are children and teenagers.

The policy changes come after a wave of legal action against Roblox. Several lawsuits have alleged that the platform has not done enough to protect underage users from harmful or exploitative behaviour. One of the most high-profile cases was filed by Louisiana’s attorney general.

In response to these allegations, Roblox issued a statement emphasising its ongoing commitment to user safety. “Any assertion that Roblox would intentionally put our users at risk of exploitation is simply untrue,” the company said. “No system is perfect, and bad actors adapt to evade detection, including efforts to take users to other platforms, where safety standards and moderation practices may differ.”

The company also said it has long worked to block exploitative behaviour and continues to strengthen its moderation practices. By introducing stricter age restrictions, identity checks, and automated enforcement tools, Roblox aims to reassure parents, regulators, and users that safety is a top priority.

As the new rules roll out in the coming months, the platform will face scrutiny over how effectively these measures protect young players and whether they are enough to prevent future legal challenges.

Hot this week

Chrome tests new privacy feature to limit precise location sharing on Android

Chrome for Android tests a new privacy feature that lets websites access only approximate location data instead of precise GPS information.

Prebuilt PC prices set to rise as RAM costs surge worldwide

PC makers warn of higher prebuilt prices as RAM and SSD costs surge due to global demand and supply pressures.

POCO enters premium smartphone segment with new F8 series

POCO launches the F8 Ultra, F8 Pro, and two new tablets as it enters the premium flagship market with new performance and audio features.

Apple expected to launch low-cost MacBook with iPhone chip in early 2026

Apple is expected to launch a low-cost MacBook with an A18 Pro chip in February 2026, aiming to offer a budget-friendly alternative to its existing models.

Epic CEO questions the relevance of AI labels in game stores

Epic CEO Tim Sweeney questions the need for AI labels in game stores amid industry debates over transparency and the future role of AI.

Cronos: The New Dawn drives major profit surge for Bloober Team

Bloober Team reports record Q3 2025 results as Cronos: The New Dawn drives a major surge in global sales and profit.

China warns of growing risk of bubble in humanoid robot industry

China warns of a potential bubble in the humanoid robot industry, raising concerns about market saturation, investment risks, and global impact.

SMRT upgrades Bishan Depot with automation to double train overhaul capacity

SMRT upgrades Bishan Depot with automation to double overhaul capacity and enhance safety, efficiency, and workforce sustainability.

Apple is expected to overtake Samsung as the world’s leading smartphone maker

Apple is projected to overtake Samsung as the world’s top smartphone maker, driven by strong iPhone 17 demand and upcoming device launches.

Related Articles

Popular Categories